CALL FICTION SHORT FILM
CASTELLO ERRANTE. RESIDENZA INTERNAZIONALE DEL CINEMA (INTERNATIONAL CINEMA RESIDENCY) is a training, production and promotion project in the audiovisual industry, carried out in close contact with the territory hosting it, as well as a great opportunity for international exchange between young European and Latin American professionals (hereinafter “the Project”).
Every year, a group of students and professionals, from Latin America and Italy, gathers in a small Italian village to attend intensive training sessions and to develop and produce fiction and documentary audiovisual products.
The Project is organised by Occhi di Giove S.r.l. (hereinafter the “Organiser“), with the support of the Italian Ministry of Culture, the Lazio Region, the Ibermedia Programme and the cooperation of IILA – Italian-Latin American International Organisation, Roma Lazio Film Commission, Doc/it – Associazione Documentaristi Italiani.
With the aim of supporting the creativity of young authors and promoting a cultural and international exchange, in cooperation with the other partners involved in the Project, Castello Errante publishes the call for the selection of a screenplay for a short fiction film that will be developed and produced during the sixth edition of the International Residency Project.
Such call is accompanied by special Calls for the selection of the film crew and for the selection of the directors.
1. OBJECT OF THE CALL
The aim of the call for the selection of a screenplay (hereinafter referred to as “the Call“) is to select a screenplay for a fictional short film with an open topic.
From the winning screenplay a short film will be developed and produced during the Residency, shot by the film crew and the director selected, as a result of special Calls, held within the framework of the Project.
The Call is aimed at promoting the knowledge of young authors through the production of a short film based on their screenplays, which will then be broadcast, in line with the timing and methods deemed most appropriate by the Organiser, at festivals, cinema circuits and wherever it may be appropriate and possible.
The Call also constitutes a training opportunity for young authors, as the selected author has the right to participate in all the master classes and remote workshops organised by the Residency as well as in on-line discussion sessions with the troupe and the director, as needed and according to the author’s availability expressed by the author himself.
Participation in the call by sending the required documents signifies acceptance of all the terms and conditions of this Call.
2. PARTICIPANTS ADMITTED
This Call is addressed to Italian authors, authors of Italian nationality and authors from one of the following countries: Argentina, Plurinational State of Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Chile, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Uruguay and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.
Participants must be aged between 21 and 35 (this requirement must be met at the time of submitting the application).
Persons employed by OCCHI DI GIOVE S.r.l. or by entities supporting the Project and cooperating with it are not eligible to participate in the Call. Likewise, those who have a relationship up to the third degree of consanguinity or affinity, as well as a close friendship or partnership, with the staff of the administration and management services of the Call or with the members of the evaluation board are not eligible to participate.
3. PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS
The participant can take part in the Call by sending only one screenplay.
To participate in the Call, the participant must send, by the deadline indicated below, a fictional short film screenplay with the following characteristics:
1) it must be an original unedited work, not yet published or broadcast or adapted for the cinema by the participant, or a work taken from a previous literary, audiovisual or theatrical work by the same participant. Therefore, screenplays already filmed and in the post-production phase, screenplays that have already competed in other competitions in this sector, screenplays that have previously competed or won prizes, mentions or similar recognitions, or screenplays based on short stories, novels, plays, etc., written by an author who is not the participant, will not be accepted;
2) it must be between 8 and 15 pages long, be written in digital form, in the standard format of film writing, in Courier New 12 font and in PDF format. In case of selection, an editable format will be requested for the subsequent translation of the selected work;
3) it must include the development of the whole narrative flow of the story in a single indoor location, in a maximum of two indoor spaces, with great attention being paid to the characters’ dialogue and characteristics;
4) screenplays written by several authors (2 or more) are permitted, provided that each of them complies with the requirements set out in par. 2 and on condition that each of the co-authors assigns his or her rights to exploit the work for the purposes of making the short film, its distribution and its exploitation, including for commercial purposes.
Screenplays must not include technical notes or director or editing instructions, and must be strictly limited to authorship work, in order to make room for the creation of an artistic proposal coming also from the other participants in the Residency.
4. REGISTRATION PROCEDURE
Participants must send an email with subject: SCREENPLAY CALL to firstname.lastname@example.org attaching the following documents:
2. Storyline of max. 5 lines.
3. Synopsis (summary of the topic) of max. 15 lines.
4. General description of the main characters.
5. A copy of a valid identity card or passport.
Failure to provide even just one of the above mentioned documents will automatically result in the ineligibility to participate in the call and the exclusion of the candidate.
The following information must be written in the email body:
1. Full name and age of the author.
2. Name and age of any co-authors.
3. Phone number and email address.
5. DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION
The screenplay must be received by10th August 2022 at 11:59 pm (CEST), except for any extensions published on the Project website.
The date of the e-mail will be counted as date of entry.
Applications received after the above mentioned date will not be taken into consideration.
The Organiser will send an e-mail acknowledging receipt.
6. RIGHTS ON WORKS
The Participant declares and warrants that he/she is the exclusive holder of all copyrights related to the Screenplay. He/she undertakes, by stipulating a specific contract, to assign to the Organiser and its assignees, on an exclusive basis and for the maximum duration envisaged by Italian law, all rights of economic exploitation of the Screenplay necessary to make the short film during the Residency and distribute it in any form and manner, throughout the world and for the maximum duration envisaged by the applicable laws, with the express provision that the Organiser may assign the rights acquired, in whole or in part, to third parties.
The Participant warrants that his/her screenplay does not violate third-party rights in any way and holds the Organiser and the partners of this initiative harmless from and against any and all claims, costs or requests that could be brought by third parties.
7. SELECTION CRITERIA AND EVALUATION BOARD
The selected participant will receive a notification by telephone and/or email no later than 15 September 2022.
The evaluation board will be composed of professionals operating in the cultural and audiovisual industry and of the project organising staff. A professional screenwriter will be among the members of the board.
The evaluation given by the board is final. The board will evaluate the following elements:
– narrative and expressive completeness of the screenplay;
– descriptive completeness of the characters and depth of the proposed dialogues;
– fulfilment of the requirements and the writer’s ability to investigate and analyse.
Screenplays that are also appealing to an international audience and can guarantee wide promotion and distribution to the work, will receive particular attention by the evaluation board. Additional consideration will be given to stories involving characters of Hispanic or Latin American origin.
8. PARTICIPANT’S WARRANTIES AND UNDERTAKINGS
The participant agrees that the screenplay will be sent together with all the relevant documentation to the members of the evaluation board and to the administrative and technical staff of the Organiser, in order to enable the evaluation of applications.
The participant expresses his/her interest and his/her willingness to participate as an author of the Project in rewriting, analysis and pre-production works, in cooperation with the production crew and the director.
The Participant hereby guarantees that his/her work does not infringe any intellectual property rights or other rights of third parties and holds the Organiser and the project partners harmless against any and all prejudicial consequences, claims, requests or costs resulting from third-party claims.
9. LIABILITY DISCLAIMER
The Organiser and its partners shall not be liable for a) any late, misdirected, confused, distorted or damaged entries or submissions; b) any malfunction or failure related to telephone, electronic, hardware, software, Internet network or any other type of failure related to computers or communications; c) any damage to or loss of content caused by events beyond the control of the Organiser or due to force majeure or unforeseeable circumstances; d) any printing or typographical inaccuracies in the materials associated with this initiative.
Therefore, participants hereby waive any and all claims in respect of the above listed circumstances against the Organiser and its assignees.
10. PUBLICATION OF THIS INITIATIVE
This initiative will be promoted on www.castelloerranteresidenza.it website, on social networks related to the Project as well as through the communication channels of the project partners.
11. EXCLUSION OF APPLICANTS
The Organiser reserves the right to exclude participants and/or winners who:
– have declared false or untrue information concerning their identity;
– have failed to accept and meet all the conditions set by the rules;
– have sent content, images or materials that are harmful to the rights of others or that are defamatory;
– have not sent all the necessary documents as required in par. 4 or have registered after the deadline indicated in par. 5;
– do not enter into the contract mentioned in par. 6
Participants hereby waive any and all claims to that effect.
12. CHANGE IN THE EXECUTION METHODS
Participants are aware that the Covid -19 pandemic may cause restrictions and the Organiser’s inability to hold the International Residency in presence, in the event whereby any future rules, regulations or provisions by government authorities might prevent it. In such cases, the participant waives any dispute and/or claim if the short film cannot be made or in the event that its production is postponed.
13. UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE OF THESE CLAUSES
Participation in the Call signifies the participant’s unconditional and total acceptance of the provisions and terms contained in these rules, without any limitation.
14. ITALIAN LAW, JURISDICTION AND VENUE
These rules are drawn up in accordance with and are solely subject to Italian law and Italian jurisdiction.
Any dispute relating to the interpretation, execution and validity of these rules shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Court of Turin.
In accordance with current legislation, the Organisation informs the Call participants that the personal data sent will become part of a data archive held by the Organiser and will be processed by it in accordance with the applicable legislation regarding personal data protection.
The information on personal data processing is provided in a separate attachment, which participants are required to read and sign to participate in the Call.